Information Technology is proud to announce that we are partnering with Google to adopt Gmail as the new e-mail service for students and alumni. The transition from NetMail to Gmail is expected to occur on June 1. However, access to NetMail will remain for several weeks thereafter, to permit a smooth migration.
Gmail offers numerous potential benefits to our students and alumni-notably:
- E-mail storage of up to 7500MB per user - Le Moyne currently offers its students and alumni 100MB of e-mail storage.
- Familiarity - Google's mail service is one of the leading web based e-mail applications today. Many of our students, alumni, and employees already use Gmail outside of campus life.
- Reliability and Availability - The Google partnership will help ensure an always-on always-available mail service, regardless of location. Google promises not more than nine (9) hours of downtime per year.
- Privacy and Security - Google's mail service comes to us without advertising and offers enhanced protection against viruses and SPAM. As importantly, Google maintains a worldwide staff of individuals dedicated to maintaining the security of their applications and the data and information of their users.
- Cost - The service comes at no direct cost to the College and will instead free some IT staff to focus on the use of these technologies to support teaching and learning.
In addition to e-mail, this partnership should eventually bring the capabilities of the entire Google Apps Education Edition suite to our students and employees. The increasingly popular Google Apps suite is expected to enhance opportunities for collaborative learning and instruction and complement our existing Microsoft Office and the Blackboard Learning Management System.
Google has played a leading role in the continued development and growth of web based software including Gmail and the related suite Google Apps. Google Apps and Gmail are now widely utilized by individuals, academic institutions, government, and private enterprise to provide a cost effective and powerful suite of collaboration tools. Several of our AJCU counterparts, including St. Louis University, Canisius and the University of San Francisco, have already transitioned to Gmail. Le Moyne and Information Technology are excited to follow their lead and build this partnership with one of the leading providers of web based computing.
In the days ahead, IT staff will provide additional details about the new mail system and the transition. This information will help clarify how the change will impact all members of our community. In the mean time, watch your e-mail, campus publications and the IT web site for updates and feel free to browse the information provided by Google. Stop attaching and start sharing!
Should you have any questions or concerns regarding this please do not hesitate to contact the IT Helpdesk at x4579 (email@example.com).
Previous Page | Next Page
This is Evelyn Josbena.
I set up my gmail account for lemoyne yesterday during
orientation, and i just tried to sign on and its not working. .
You should contact the IT HelpDesk with your user name and they'll be able to help you right out. You can either call 445-4579 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep us posted if you run into any problems.
Welcome to Le Moyne!
Go back to the other email. I do not think this new way through google is good.