We offer a unique program.
Relying upon the knowledge base about politics that the discipline of political science provides, and integrating that with the commitment of Jesuit education to social justice, the political science major takes as its central focus training of students for a life of active citizenship.
Follow us on Facebook
Consequently, political science at Le Moyne includes:
- A citizenship activism theme that runs throughout the curriculum
- Interdisciplinary courses that demonstrate the pervasiveness of politics
- Topical courses that link contemporary issues with academic literature
- Four student clubs that encourage student activism outside of class
- Student-centered pedagogies and small classes
If you have additional questions, feel free to contact the Chair, Professor Delia Popescu or, better yet, come and visit us.
The Department of Political Science has as its objectives not only educating students to the political concerns of society but also encouraging them to be active, engaged participants in democracy. We take seriously the Jesuit mission to educate students for the service of others. Politics should be at the heart of efforts to work for social justice.
In keeping with Le Moyne’s Jesuit heritage and our nation’s democratic creed, the faculty of the department is committed in our various courses, classes, and pedagogical methods to the following goals:
- Development of critical thinking skills,
- Growth in values awareness,
- Development of decision-making skills,
- Sensitizing students to the role of power and the pervasiveness of politics,
- Development of democratic political skills and
- The combined use of these skills and dispositions for future public service, whether local, state, national, or international.
Guided by this vision, we have developed a unique curriculum that:
- Emphasizes small classes and active, student-centered pedagogies,
- Courses that focus on student interests and concerns and cut across disciplinary boundaries, and
- Incorporates experiential elements into the coursework.