Alternative Break Program
Read about our latest Ecuador service trip The Alternative Break program provides domestic and international service and learning opportunities for the students, faculty and staff of Le Moyne College. The goal of the program is for participants to deepen their relationship with God through:
- sharing in the lives of those living in poverty through short-term service projects and living experiences;
- reflecting critically on issues of faith and justice;
- being exposed to the wonderful diversity of God's creations through an encounter with those living in a culture different from their own;
- offering their skills, resources, and gifts for the purpose of creating a more just world;
- Campus Ministry's mission to integrate faith and justice, a vision of spiritual life articulated in the gospel message and the church's call for a “preferential option for the poor";
- opportunities to implement experience into social justice endeavors back home.
JANUARY 2016 TRIPS TO ECUADOR AND EL SALVADOR
Center for Working Families in Quito, Ecuador (Jan. 9 to 23, 2016). The CWF works with the whole family to educate and provide job training. While there Break participants will assist in English classes, help out around the school and go on home visits. Some knowledge of Spanish is helpful but not necessary. Applications are due April 15, 2015. Learn more here. Get an info sheet here. Get an application here.
CRISPAZ Christians for Peace in El Salvador (Jan. 12 to 22, 2016). Travel for 10 days as a delegation with CRISPAZ. This is a faith-based experience where participants learn from the Salvadoran people about their lives, histories and hopes for the future. A major focus of the encounter is to reflect on the meaning of working for justice rather than working for charity, understanding one's role as a global citizen and humanizing the different issues that are present in our societies. Applications are due April 15, 2015. Learn more here. Get an info sheet here. Get an application here.
Teams for these trips will be selected this semester. For more info, come to one of two upcoming information sessions. The first is tonight at 8:30 p.m. in the Drescher Community Room of the Chapel. The second is scheduled for Wednesday, April 8 at 4:30 p.m, also in the Drescher Community Room. Contact Beth Scanlon at email@example.com or ext. 4114 with any questions. Applications are due on Wednesday, April 15 followed by an interview. Spots are limited.
THE JUNE 2015 TRIP TO KINGSTON, JAMAICA
The upcoming service trip to the St. Anne's School in Kingston, Jamaica will be held from June 7 to 20, 2015 during which time participants will have the opportunity to learn from the lives and stories of the people of Jamaica. Applications are now available. The application deadline has passed and interviews are now taking place.
2016 WINTER BREAK AND SPRING BREAK SERVICE TRIPS
Info will be available in the fall of 2015.