1. A cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.3 or higher is required. Conditional acceptance will be offered to a candidate who presents with a GPA of 3.0 to 3.29 dependent upon interview and at the discretion of the Graduate Admissions Committee.
2. A completed application, including statement of purpose clearly identifying why the applicant wants to pursue the Advanced Practice Nursing (APN) role of the FNP, official transcripts of all colleges/universities attended, and three (3) letters of reference, one each from professional colleagues as follows: (1) an RN peer, (1) a nursing supervisor or faculty member, (1) a Nurse Practitioner or Physician.
3. Prior to the start of NSG 671: FNP clinical I, the candidate must have completed one year or a full time equivalent of RN nursing practice in Medical-Surgical Nursing in an acute care setting.*
4. A personal interview with the director of the Advance Practice Nursing Program and a 500-word essay written spontaneously following the interview on a subject predetermined by the graduate admission committee.
5. Evidence of unencumbered, current licensure to practice as an RN in New York State.
6. Current CPR certification and evidence of recent physical exam (within 12 months), up- to-date immunization status, and PPD status.
7. Graduation from a state-approved baccalaureate program in nursing, or graduation from an associate degree or diploma program in nursing with a bachelor of arts or bachelor of science in another field**, or graduation from an accredited master’s degree program in nursing for students enrolling in the FNP Post-Master’s advanced certificate program.
8. A professional resume listing relevant educational and work experience.
9. Completion of basic statistics course or equivalent and an undergraduate Health Assessment course.
* Other RN nursing experience may be considered at the discretion of the director of the Advanced Practice Nursing Program.
** Post-Baccalaureate RN-MS certificate
Prerequisites- Epidemiology, Family Nursing (class or module)