An interdisciplinary major in biochemistry is available. For details, see Interdisciplinary Programs.
Learning goals for the biochemistry major
As an interdisciplinary program whose curriculum overlaps extensively with both biology and chemistry, it is natural that the learning goals of the biochemistry curriculum also overlap extensively with the majors of biological sciences and chemistry.
- An understanding of biological chemistry, molecular biology, and related subdisciplines of biology and chemistry.
- Working knowledge of a broad range of laboratory techniques, including proficiency with and safe operation of the major tools commonly employed (quantitative, qualitative, and instrumental) and the ability to interpret and analyze data generated by these tools.
- Facility in constructing or using conceptual models of chemical and biological systems using critical, analytical, and logical thought.
- Working knowledge of the relationship between theory and experimental design; an understanding of the role of "scientific method" in experimental design and data interpretation.
- Facility with mathematics required to analyze and interpret conceptual and mathematical models of biological and chemical systems.
- The ability to write, critically read, and discuss scientific literature.
- General understanding of the relationship of chemistry and biology to other natural sciences and to society.
For information about major requirements and course descriptions, please see the Le Moyne College catalog.
For information about the Core Curriculum, please visit the Core webpage.
For information about the Integral Honors program, please visit the Honors Program webpage.
For information about study abroad and internship opportunities, please visit the Career Advising and Development webpage.
For information about student research opportunities at Le Moyne and the annual Student Scholars Day, please visit the Student Research webpage.
For more information about academic advising and new student orientation, please visit the Office for Academic Advising and Support webpage.
For more information about academic calendars and registration procedures, please visit the Office of the Registrar webpage.
For information about the College of Arts & Sciences, please visit the Arts and Sciences homepage.