- B.S. (Dec. 2001) The Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL, Exercise Science and Nutrition
- Florida Bright Futures Scholarship
- M.S. (Dec. 2003) The Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL, Nutritional Neuroscience
- Ph.D. (Aug. 2006) University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, Respiratory Physiology, College of Veterinary Medicine.
- 2003-2006 University of Florida, Alumni Fellowship
- 2003-2006 University of Florida, Presidential Scholarship
- 2004-2006 National Institutes of Health, T32 Pre-doctoral trainee (NIH T32 HD043730)
- Post-doctoral fellowship (Sep. 2007): SUNY Upstate Medical University, Motor Control, Department of Neurosurgery
- Current: Associate McDevitt Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, Le Moyne College; Research Associate Professor, Department of Health and Exercise Science, Syracuse University
- 2015-16: Research Associate, University of Eastern Finland, Fulbright Program
- 2014-15: Interim Director, Core Curriculum, Le Moyne College
- BIO 281/282 - Anatomy and Physiology I and II
- BIO 270 - Animal Behavior
- BSC 114 - Survival of the Fitness
- BIO 499 - Research in Biology
I spend much of my teaching time mentoring undergraduates in the research laboratory (BIO 499). In my lab, students develop as scientists by navigating the scientific literature, troubleshooting techniques, collecting data, presenting data, attending conferences, and writing manuscripts. We hold laboratory (group) meetings every week and individual meetings every other week as part of this course credit.
Cardiorespiratory Physiology Lab
I am trained as a cardiorespiratory whole-animal physiologist and continue these interests today. My lab uses multiple techniques to monitor blood pressure, heart rate and breathing rate/depth in order to answer our research questions. Our overarching goals are to uncover mechanisms responsible for the regulation of breathing and blood pressure, with emphasis on neural control of these systems.
We are currently funded by the National Institutes of Health to investigate the neural and muscular components of breathing in a model of Down syndrome. Other ongoing projects include: circadian changes in cardiorespiratory dynamics, capsaicin modulation of breathing, cardiorespiratory alterations in response to isoflurane anesthesia, impact of the proteasome on the control of breathing. Our experiments support the sciences at Le Moyne College and engage undergraduate students in biomedical research to train the next generation of researchers.
Recent Research Awards
Learn more about the activities of the Cardiorespiratory Physiology Lab.
- Ashley Loeven: American Physiological Society Horwitz/Horowitz Outstanding Undergraduate Abstract Award and the Horwitz/Horowitz Excellence in Undergraduate Research Award
- Brianna Eassa: American Physiological Society Undergraduate Summer Research Fellowship. Press release: http://www.the-aps.org/mm/Education/Undergraduate/Educational-Projects/UGSRFs/Awardees/2018-UGSRF-Press-Release.pdf
- Dr. Candace Receno (post-doctoral fellow): American Physiological Society Minority Travel Award
- Taylor Glausen: American Physiological Society David Bruce Undergraduate Abstract Award
- Angela Le: American Physiological Society David Bruce Undergraduate Abstract Award
- Michelle Zoccollo: Mid-Atlantic Regional American Society of Sports Medicine Undergraduate Abstract Award
(* indicates undergraduate student)
- Candace N. Receno, K.E. Roffo*, M.C. Mickey, K.C. DeRuisseau, L.R. DeRuisseau. Quiet breathing in hindlimb casted mice. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2018 Jun 7. pii: S1569-9048(18)30140-X. doi: 10.1016/j.resp.2018.06.003. [Epub ahead of print]
- Candace N. Receno, T.G. Glausen*, L.R. DeRuisseau. Saline as a vehicle control does not alter ventilation in male CD-1 mice. Physiol Rep. 2018 May;6(10): ):e13702. doi: 10.14814/phy2.13702.
- Patrick M. Cowley, D.R. Nair, L.R. DeRuisseau, S. Keslacy, M. Atalay, K.C. DeRuisseau. Oxidant production and SOD1 protein expression in single skeletal myofibers from Down syndrome mice. Redox Biol. 2017 Jul 4; 13: 421-425.
- Lara R. DeRuisseau. The flipped classroom allows for more time devoted to critical thinking. Adv Physiol Educ 2016 Dec 40 (4): 522-528 DOI: 10.1152/advan.00033.2016 Prepublication.
- Keith C. Deruisseau, Y.M. Park, L.R. Deruisseau, P.M. Cowley, C.H. Fazen, R.P. Doyle. Aging related changes in the iron status of skeletal muscle. Exp Gerontol. 2013 Nov;48(11):1294-302.
- Patrick M. Cowley, S. Keslacy, F.A. Middleton , L.R. DeRuisseau, B. Fernhall, J.A. Kanaley, K.C. DeRuisseau. Functional and biochemical characterization of soleus muscle in Down syndrome mice: insight into the muscle dysfunction seen in the human condition. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2012 Dec 15;303(12):R1251-60.
- Cathryn S. Mah , D.J. Falk, S.A. Germain, J.S. Kelley, M.A. Lewis, D.A. Cloutier, L.R. Deruisseau, T.J. Conlon, K.O. Cresawn, T.J. Fraites Jr, M. Campbell-Thompson, D.D. Fuller, B.J. Byrne. Gel-mediated delivery of AAV1 vectors corrects ventilatory function in Pompe mice with established disease. Mol Ther 2010 Mar;18(3):502-10. Epub 2010 Jan 26.
- Lara R. DeRuisseau, D.D. Fuller, K. Qiu, K.C. DeRuisseau, W.H. Donnelly Jr., C. Mah, P.J. Reier, and B.J. Byrne. Neural deficits contribute to respiratory insufficiency in Pompe disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009 Jun 9;106(23):9419-24. Epub 2009 May 27.
- Donald J. Blaskiewicz, I. Smirnov, T. Cisu, L.R. DeRuisseau, D. Stelzner, B.Calancie. Cauda equina repair in the rat: 1. Stimulus-evoked EMG for identifying spinal nerves innervating intrinsic tail muscles. J Neurotrauma. 2009 Aug;26(8):1405-16. Epub Feb 2009.
- Lara R. DeRuisseau, D.M. Recca*, J.A. Mogle, M. Zoccolillo*, K.C. DeRuisseau. Metallothionein deficiency leads to soleus muscle contractile dysfunction following acute spinal cord injury in mice. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009 Dec;297(6):R1795-802. Epub 2009 Oct 14.
- S. Jung, L.R. DeRuisseau, A. Kavazis, and K.C. DeRuisseau. Plantaris muscle of aged rats exhibits increased iron status and altered iron regulatory proteins. Exp Physiol. 2008 93(3):407-14.
- Cathryn Mah, C.A. Pacak, K.O. Cresawn, L.R. DeRuisseau, S. Germain, M.A. Lewis, D.D. Fuller and B.J. Byrne. Physiological correction of Glycogen Storage Disease Type II using adeno-associated virus serotype I vectors. Mol Ther. 2007 Mar 15 (3): 501-507.
- Lara R. DeRuisseau, A.D. Parsons and J.M. Overton. Adaptive thermogenesis is intact in B6 and A/J mice studied at thermoneutrality. Metabolism. 2004 Nov;53(11):1417-23.
- Keith C. DeRuisseau, L.M. Roberts, M.R. Kushnick, A.M. Evans, K. Austin, and E.M. Haymes. Iron status of young males and females performing weight training exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004 Feb;36(2): 241-8.
- Todd D. Williams, J.B. Chambers, S.P. Gagnon, L.M. Roberts, R.P. Henderson, and J.M. Overton. Cardiovascular and metabolic responses to fasting and thermoneutrality in Agouti mice. Physiol Behav. 2003 Apr;78(4-5):615-23.
- Todd D. Williams, J.B. Chambers, L.M. Roberts, R.P. Henderson and J.M. Overton. Diet-induced obesity and cardiovascular regulation in B6 mice. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2003 Oct;30(10):769-78.
Return to Biology