What Is Upward Bound?
Upward Bound is a federally-funded program for high school students who will be first-generation college students. Each year a limited number of students from the City of Syracuse participate in the program.
What Is The Purpose Of Upward Bound?
The goal of Upward Bound is to improve the academic performance, motivation levels, and self-confidence of the participating students so that they reach their ultimate goal of achieving a college education.
What Services Are Provided?
• Academic instruction in College-Prep Math, Lab Sciences, Writing and Composition and Foreign Language classes
• Individual tutoring in subjects with which you have difficulty
• Career Counseling to help students develop future goals
• Cultural activities such as field trips to museums, zoos, national parks and attending special events such as concerts, plays, or sports events
• College campus visits
• ACT preparation classes
• SAT preparation classes
• College application advising
• Financial aid information
Who Qualifies For Upward Bound?
Students who are selected to participate in Upward Bound must live in the within the city of Syracuse limits and meet the following criteria:
• Demonstrate the academic potential and the desire to complete a college degree
• Are in the 9th or 10th grade at the time of application
• Meet specific family income guidelines and/or are potential first generation college graduates
Selection is based on information obtained from a completed application, review of school records, guidance counselors, and teacher recommendations, and a personal interview with each student and parent.
What Is The Success Rate?
95% of Upward Bound graduates have entered post-secondary education. TRIO program research shows that Upward Bound students are four times more likely to earn a college degree than students from similar back-grounds who do not participate in the program.
How Much Does It Cost?
All Upward Bound services are free of charge to eligible students.
How Do I Apply?
Complete the online application here or visit the "Apply to Join" page to download and complete a paper applciation.