The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student educational records within colleges and universities. Educational records protected under this law cannot be released without written consent by the student. Le Moyne College recognizes the increasing interest from students to share their educational records with their parent(s)/guardian(s) and, as such, developed Phinfo Proxy Access to foster this relationship. Although we strongly encourage parent/guardian involvement in our students’ education and experience at Le Moyne, we must also protect their rights under FERPA.
Proxy Access is an online tool for students through Phinfo that is used to release and control access of their educational records to third parties (parents, guardians, family, etc.). Access can be granted to one or more of Phinfo's menu areas. Some of these areas have additional submenus to which access can also be specifically granted:
- Academics: Grades
- Financial Aid: Offer letter, Financial Aid home, My Awards, FA Outside Awards, FA Required Documents, and/or College Financing Plan
- Student Finance (Bursar): Account Activity, Account Summary, and/or Make a Payment
- Tax Information: Tax Statements (PDF) and/or Electronic Consent History
- General: General Information and Notifications
REQUEST NEW ACCESS & GRANTING RIGHTS
1. Login to phinfo.lemoyne.edu
2. Click on the username and go to “View/Add Proxy”
1. View Active Proxies
Any individual listed on the student’s screen has some level of access to the student’s
If a student removes all access from someone, they will be removed from the main
2. Edit Proxy
The student may click on the pencil icon to make changes to a Proxy’s access level (see
3. Add Proxy or Reinstate Access
Use the drop-down menu to:
ADD PROXY: The student must complete the required fields at minimum:
First Name, Last Name, Email, Birth Date, and Relationship
Access (choose from Complete Access or Select Access from menu list)
Reinstate Access to a Proxy who the student previously rescinded access from.
!! Students must check the authorization box for the Disclosure Agreement in
order to submit changes !!
All Proxy users can recover their username or password with the prompts below the login
Username recovery will ask for the user’s First Name, Last Name, and Email
Address. If all fields match the records we have on file, the username will be sent
to the user’s email address.
Password recovery will ask for the user’s Username and Email address. If both
fields match the records we have on file, a temporary password will be sent to the
user’s email address.
When to Contact the Registrar’s Office
Questions about the FERPA policy.
If changes need to be made to the Proxy’s demographic information (i.e. Name,
email address, etc.)
he student should send an email request from their Le Moyne College Email
Address to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Proxy changes that need to be made.
Questions can be sent to email@example.com.
When to Contact the Service Desk
Issues with the system: difficulty logging in, password/username recovery, general IT issues,
Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
INFORMATION FOR PARENTS/GUARDIANS
- Level of Access: If you have any questions regarding the level of access you have received to your student's records, please discuss this with your student.
- Notifications: You will receive notifications when your access is granted or rescinded by your student. Please make sure that your student has your correct email address on file.
- Grade Reports (midterm and final) will no longer be sent by the Registrar's Office to parent/guardians. This information is available to authorized parents/guardians through Proxy Access.
- Student Account information can be maintained through Phinfo Proxy Access if your student grants you access to their Financial Records. This will allow you to view his/her bill, payment history, and make payments to his/her account.