Dr. Mitchell Franklin’s research interest includes the impact of tax law on decision making, and education in accounting and taxation, specifically bridging the gaps that exist between academic programs and professional practice. Dr. Franklin has published over fifty articles in journals that include: Issues in Accounting Education, Advances in Accounting Education, Tax Notes, Journal of Taxation, CPA Journal and Tax Adviser, as well as over fifty academic and professional presentations nationally.
In addition to publications, he is a senior contributing author to the textbook"Principles of Accounting," published in 2019 by OpenStax Publishing.
Dr. Franklin is also senior editor for the 2023 edition of Pearson’s Taxation for Individuals, one of the leading adopted taxation textbooks. Mitch serves on the Editorial Board of Issues in Accounting Education, and as an Associate Editor of The Accounting Educators' Journal. He is also active within the profession and had several leadership roles within the American Accounting Association. These roles include:
- American Taxation Association- Teaching Conference Committee, Chair (2023)
- American Taxation Association- Teaching Conference Committee, Co-chair (2022)
- President- Northeast Region (2021-2022)
- Northeast Region- President Elect (2020-2021)
- Conference on Teaching and Learning Steering Committee (2020)
- American Taxation Association- Teaching Conference Committee (2018, 2019, 2020, 2021)
- American Taxation Association- Regional Programs Chair (2020, 2021)
- Northeast Region- Paper Chair (2019)
- Northeast Region- Assistant Paper Chair (2018)
- Northeastern Region- Steering Committee (2016-2017)
- American Taxation Association- Technology Committee (2015)
Multiple other roles within the Association as moderator, discussant and session chairs. Other roles include ad hoc reviewer for several journals, and recognized with an Outstanding Reviewer Award by Emerald Group Publishing Literati Award on Behalf of Journal of International Education in Business. Additionally, Mitch was awarded a “best paper in track” at the American Society of Business and Behavioral Sciences Annual Meeting, March 2018.
A sample of recent publications (not an all-inclusive list) include:
- Franklin, M. (2022). Employer Paid Cosmetic Surgery: Tax Consequences to the Employer and Employee. Journal of Accounting and Finance, 22(1)
- Franklin, M. (2021). You Just Won the Lottery: Now to Fill the Promises. The Accounting Educators’ Journal, 31(1).
- Franklin, M. ., Myers, J. ., & Lepak, G. . (2021). Influencing Factors on the Choice of College Business School Major. Journal of Higher Education Theory and Practice, 21(6).
- Franklin, M., Morrow M., (2020) “Budgeting Now and Saving for the Future: Preparing Students for the Employment Market.” Journal of Business Cases and Applications. (26) pp. 1-20.
- Franklin, M., Morrow, M., Novak, C (2020) “Incorporating Analytics into the Tax Curriculum” Tax Adviser. February 2020.
- Franklin M, Elder, R., and Albring, S. (2019). “Transocean and The History of Tax Inversions” Issues in Accounting Education. (34)(1).
- Franklin M. (2019). “The Home Office Deduction: A History and Advice for the Future" Tax Notes. (161)(12) February 2019.
- Franklin, M., Morrow, M. (2019) “An Examination of the IRA and Tax Strategy: Is the Current Year Deduction the Best Long-Term Outcome” Advances in Accounting Education. Volume 22. pp 177-197.
Contact Dr. Franklin
Accounting at Le Moyne College
Madden School of Business