Alternative Break Program
Read about our latest Ecuador service trip The Alternative Break program provides domestic and international service and learning opportunities for the students, faculty and staff of Le Moyne College. The goal of the program is for participants to deepen their relationship with God through:
- sharing in the lives of those living in poverty through short-term service projects and living experiences;
- reflecting critically on issues of faith and justice;
- being exposed to the wonderful diversity of God's creations through an encounter with those living in a culture different from their own;
- offering their skills, resources, and gifts for the purpose of creating a more just world;
- Campus Ministry's mission to integrate faith and justice, a vision of spiritual life articulated in the gospel message and the church's call for a “preferential option for the poor";
- opportunities to implement experience into social justice endeavors back home.
JANUARY 2015 Winter Service Week
Winter Service Week 2015 Sites:
January 11 - 17 - St. Francis Inn, Philadelphia, PA
St. Francis Inn is a soup kitchen which serves a daily meal to 250-300 people. Break participants will assist with picking up the daily donations; preparing and serving the meal; sorting and distributing donations; and visiting with the guests. View the website at www.stfrancisinn.org.
Service Week in New York City. Spend a week in NYC doing service working at a soup kitchen, city hospital, center for women and children or with people who are homeless. Transportation – each participant will make their own way to NYC.
January 11 - 17 – SNOW – Syracuse Needs One Week. Spend a week right here in Syracuse living and working at the Rescue Mission. You will assist with meal preparation as well as serving, work in the Warehouse and learn all about what makes the Rescue Mission the agency that it is.
January 11 - 17 - Nazareth Farm in Salem, WV. At Nazareth Farm break participants will split up onto teams with other college students and will work on housing rehab projects. During the week we will have the opportunity to meet and work with the homeowners as well as meet folk from the community. View the website at www.nazarethfarm.org.
Click here for an info sheet.
Click here for an application.
THE JUNE TRIP TO KINGSTON, JAMAICA
The upcoming service trip to the St. Anne's School in Kingston, Jamaica will be held from June 1 to 13, 2015 during which time participants will have the opportunity to learn from the lives and stories of the people of Jamaica. Applications will be available in November, 2014
THE JANUARY 2015 TRIP TO ECUADOR
The upcoming service trip to the Working Boy's Center in Quito, Ecuador will be held in the first two weeks of January 2015. The deadline has passed and applications are closed.
Click here to get the info sheet.