Students and faculty planning to conduct research with human subjects must receive approval from the Le Moyne College Institutional Review Board (IRB). There are three categories of review: Exempt, Expedited, and Full Review, and the category of an application depends on the level of risk for the research participants.
The IRB will only accept applications from faculty, student, and administrative researchers who have successfully completed the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) Program online training course on human research subjects protection. Faculty sponsors of student researchers must also complete the relevant CITI Program course. All researchers and sponsors must include a copy of the completion report for their course when submitting their application. Instructions for registering for the appropriate CITI program course can be found here: CITI Instructions; please follow these instructions carefully as you complete the registration process. The instruction document takes you through Step seven of the CITI registration process, which contains 10 questions related to the particular CITI course(s) that you wish to register for; these questions contain all the courses currently available through the Le Moyne College subscription. The IRB requires only that researchers complete the relevant basic course in their field (Question 1 in Step 7). The remaining questions in Step 7 may be skipped (or you may respond “no” / “not at this time”) as long as: (i) your department / program does not require any additional training; (ii) you are not renewing CITI certification via a refresher course; and (iii) you do not have any other role on the IRB. PLEASE NOTE:
- If you are completing CITI training for the first time, you must take the basic course in your research field--that is, the basic course for Biomedical Research Investigators, Social & Behavioral Research Investigators, or Educational Researchers (Question 1 in Step 7 of the registration process). Do not register for a refresher course (Question 2) if you are completing CITI training for the first time.
- The refresher CITI course (Question 2) is reserved for those researchers who completed a CITI basic course in the past and whose certification is set to expire or recently expired. The IRB will not accept completion certificates for refresher courses from researchers completing CITI training for the first time.
- The Responsible Conduct of Research course is an optional course that a researcher may take in addition to the basic course. The IRB will not accept completion certificates for the Responsible Conduct of Research course in lieu of the basic CITI course.
Contact the IRB at email@example.com
The contact phone number for the IRB has changed as of August 2019: the new number is 315-445-4573. All consent forms submitted for approval must have the new phone number on it.
Dr. Paul Blackley, Dept. of Economics
Dr. Mary Zampini, Dept. of Foreign Languages & Literatures
Institutional Review Board Members 2020-21
Dr. Mitchell Franklin, Dept. of Accounting
Mr. Mark Godleski, Assistant Dean for Student Development
Ms. Rachel Kaprielov (student member)
Dr. Kara Keyes, Dept. of Nursing
Dr. Christopher Morley, SUNY Upstate Medical University (outside member)
Dr. Whitney Wood, Dept. of Psychology
IRB Spring 2021 Meetings
Tuesday, February 23, 2021
Tuesday, March 30, 2021
Tuesday, April 27, 2021
Form Cs must be submitted one week prior to the meeting dates in order to be considered at that meeting. Form As and Bs have no deadline; they are accepted on a rolling basis and reviewed in the order received.
Send all application materials as an email attachment, including a scanned copy of the signed Form A/B/C, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Unsigned forms will not be accepted.
In order to have their application reviewed, researchers must submit all of the following:
- The signed Form A/B/C
- Research Outline
- All recruitment materials in their final form, including fliers and/or emails/letters to be sent to potential participants
- All consent forms in their final form
- All surveys in their final form (or a list of initial questions for semi-structured interviews)
- A clickable link to online consent forms and surveys (if applicable)
- Signed administrative consent letters for projects that intend to recruit subjects and/or collect data at a site outside the College (if applicable)