Students and faculty planning to conduct research with human subjects must receive approval from the Le Moyne College Institutional Review Board (IRB). There are three categories of review: Exempt, Expedited, and Full Review, and the category of an application depends on the level of risk for the research participants.
The IRB will only accept applications from faculty, student, and administrative researchers who have successfully completed the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) Program
online training course on human research subjects protection. Faculty sponsors of student researchers must also complete the relevant CITI Program course. All researchers and sponsors are asked to include a copy of the completion report for their course when submitting their first application on or after January 1, 2017
. Instructions for registering for the appropriate CITI program course can be found here: CITI Instructions
; please follow these instructions carefully as you complete the registration process. PLEASE NOTE
- If you are completing CITI training for the first time, you must take the basic course in your research field--that is, the basic course for Biomedical Research Investigators, Social & Behavioral Research Investigators, or Educational Researchers. Do not register for a refresher course if you are completing CITI training for the first time.
- The refresher CITI course is reserved for those researchers who have previously completed a basic CITI course and whose certification is set to expire or recently expired. The IRB will not accept completion certificates for refresher courses from researchers completing CITI training for the first time.
- The Responsible Conduct of Research course is an optional course that a researcher may take in addition to the basic course. The IRB will not accept completion certificates for the Responsible Conduct of Research course in lieu of the basic CITI course.
Contact the IRB at firstname.lastname@example.org
The contact phone number for the IRB has changed as of May 2016: the new number is 315-445-5426. All consent forms submitted for approval must have the new phone number on it.
Dr. Paul Blackley
Dr. Mary Zampini (on sabbatical Spring 2018)
Institutional Review Board Members 2017-18
Dr. Krystine Batcho
Dr. Colleen Giblin
Dr. Christopher Morley, SUNY Upstate Medical University (outside member)
Dr. Lynn Beth Satterly
Jessica Rundell (student member)
IRB Spring 2018 Meetings
February 6, 2018
March 13, 2018
April 10, 2018
May 1, 2018
Form Cs must be submitted one week prior to the meeting dates in order to be considered at that meeting. Form As and Bs have no deadline; they are accepted on a rolling basis and reviewed in the order received.
Send all application materials as an email attachment, including a scanned copy of the signed Form A/B/C, to email@example.com. Unsigned forms will not be accepted.
In order to have their application reviewed, researchers must submit all of the following:
- The signed Form A/B/C
- Research Outline
- All recruitment materials in their final form, including fliers and/or emails/letters to be sent to potential participants
- All consent forms in their final form
- All surveys in their final form (or a list of initial questions for semi-structured interviews)
- A clickable link to online consent forms and surveys (if applicable)
- Signed administrative consent letters for projects that intend to recruit subjects and/or collect data at a site outside the College (if applicable)