NY1 News/Web Writer/New York, New York
JOB TITLE: Web Writer
COMPANY: NY1 News
LOCATION: New York, NY
TO APPLY: www.timewarnercable.com/careers, Requisition # 133616BR
Copyedits stories from on-air scripts, and publishes them to NY1 website. Encodes video packages that are aired on the news channel and loads them onto site. Orders news stories on site to create an informative user experience. Writes original stories in breaking news situations. Updates copy as stories change. Works with reporters, producers and editors to produce factual, clear, interesting news stories within the required time frame.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
· Prepares news and features stories based on on-air scripts and information provided by the assignment desk, wire services, newspapers, press releases, NY1 archives and footage shot in the field.
· Copyedits on-air scripts correcting for accuracy, clarity, factual content, grammar and spelling while maintaining editorial standards and reporter's personal style.
· Writes original news stories in AP print style during breaking news situations.
· Uses editorial judgment to place news stories on site in proper order to create a clear, informative user experience.
· Updates stories as news changes.
· Uses social media tools to deliver content to social networks.
· Produces special editorial content and expanded sections on an as-needed basis.
· Maintains highest degree of quality and ethical standards in presentation of material.
· Reads local newspapers to keep up to date with New York City news.
· Utilizes knowledge of Internet and website trends to keep site competitive.
· Operates NY1.com’s content management system for publication of stories.
· Uses NY1's newsroom management application to access source material.
· Encodes video clips for website using newsroom video tools.
· Captures still images from video clips for stories.
· Uses file transfer program to upload files to web servers as necessary.
· Monitors website and publishing tools to ensure proper operation.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
• College degreeBusiness
• Degree in Journalism, Communication or English preferred.
• 1-2 years newsroom experience: internship, field work, or freelance.
• TV or radio experience.
• Experience writing copy, editing, shooting, collecting elements and putting packages together.
• Experience researching, creating news stories and making basic editorial decisions.
Job No. 1842