Alumni, parents, and friends of Le Moyne College are invited to serve as hosts for our job shadow program. This program is being offered over Spring Break (March 6-10, 2017). We are seeking unpaid opportunities that are typically one day, depending on student and alumni/parent availability, providing an inside look at a job, company, career, or industry.
Le Moyne requests that Job Shadow hosts introduce their profession, industry and/or organization; provide a tour of the workplace; answer questions; and most importantly, allow a student to observe their daily routine.
Suggested job shadowing experiences:
- Give a tour of the organization
- Shadow alumnus and/or colleagues in different departments during the day
- Observe general office tasks, staff meetings, and/or interactions of one or more departments
- Observe client interactions or assist clients directly, if able
- Experience an employee demonstration of industry-specific software or tools
- Review the organization’s website, mission, marketing collateral, organizational charts to learn more
- Enjoy a meal with alumnus sponsor or others (typical of what staff might do if lunching together)
- Conduct informational interviews with different employees to understand the firm, industry, future trends, and career paths within this field
- Meet with HR staff to understand what they look for when hiring college graduates
- Meet with additional Le Moyne alumni who work within the organization
- Meet a new employee to get a "fresh perspective"
Students are responsible for contacting the host in advance, transporting themselves to and from the job shadow site, researching the organization in advance of the shadowing day, and coming prepared with questions. The student and job shadow host should discuss the goal of the shadowing experience beforehand to ensure that both are able to reach their goals!