Assistant Academic Coordinator
Professor of Practice
- BS, Le Moyne College, 1996
- PA Certificate, Sisters of Charity Medical Center, 1998
- MPAS, University of Nebraska Medical Center, 2000
Travis Hayden completed his undergraduate studies here at Le Moyne College with a degree in biology. Upon graduating he was awarded enrollment into the U.S. Navy’s Health Services Collegiate Program. Through the program he received his formal training as a PA at the Sisters of Charity Medical Center of Staten Island, New York. Hayden then proudly served on active duty as a Medical Service Corps Officer in the U.S. Navy, working as a PA in military and family medicine. During his time in the Navy, he completed his Master’s degree in Physician Assistant Studies from the University of Nebraska. While stationed at the U.S. Naval Academy he pursued his interest in dermatology working with the Dermatology Department of the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, MD.
Since completing his tour in the Navy in 2003, Hayden has enjoyed working in the specialty field of dermatology providing care to patients in a variety of clinical settings (ranging from urban centers to remote underserved rural communities and from private practices serving those with healthcare security to free clinics serving those with healthcare insecurity; the uninsured, immigrant, and migrant communities), as well as teaching in PA education.
Hayden's interest in helping to educate healthcare professionals is focused on the goal of improving the quality of care our patients’ receive. He is a full time faculty member of the Le Moyne College Department of Physician Assistant Studies where he works as the Assistant Academic Coordinator and as the faculty advisor to the PA Student Society (PASS). Hayden also enjoys guest lecturing as a clinical instructor for the SUNY Upstate Medical University PA Program and the Le Moyne College Family Nurse Practitioner Program, as well as other PA graduate and fellowship training programs nationally. Throughout his career he has had the privilege of helping to educate a multitude of medical professionals (PAs, NPs, medical students, and residents), both in the didactic and clinical settings.
In addition to his clinical and educational work, Hayden has had the honor to serve in the advancement of our profession by way of volunteering for various appointed and elected positions within the Society of Dermatology Physician Assistants (SDPA). His service to the SDPA (unbroken since 2005) has included: Publications & Communications Committee Chair from 2005-2017, SDPA Director At Large from 2017-2018, SDPA AAPA House of Delegates Representative from 2018-2021, and SDPA Nominations Committee 2021- to present.
In 2007 Hayden created and established the Journal of Dermatology for Physician Assistants (JDPA), the official journal of the SDPA, where he served as the Editor-in-Chief from 2007-2020, and has continued to work as the Founding Editor for the publication. In 2015 he was appointed to serve as a founding Board of Trustee member for the Dermatology PA Foundation (DPAF), the philanthropic arm of the SDPA. He has continued to work with the DPAF as a Research Committee member, helping PAs expand their contributions to the field of dermatology by way of engaging in scholarly and research activities that are designed to improve the practice of dermatologic patient care by PAs and other medical professionals. In 2022 the Collaboratory for Interprofessional Authorship in Dermatology (CIAD) invited Hayden to join their inaugural team of scholars to help mentor and collaborate with early career healthcare professionals in the art of writing for scientific peer-reviewed publications.
Publications and Presentations
- Hayden TM, Winters J, Volz J. Chapter 11.3: Oral Cavity, Lips, Gums, and Tongue, In: DiRuggiero D, et al. Dermatology for Advanced Practice Clinicians, 2nd Edition. Wolters Kluwer; 2021.
- Hsu A, Konopka K, Lobo D, Matthews M, Omlor C, Samardak R, Hayden TM, Kriegisch Kondapi P. Dermatology PAs in the Screening of Psoriasis Comorbidities. Journal of Dermatology for Physician Assistants. 2019;13(3):15-24.
- Hayden TM. Physician Assistant Certification Exam Dermatology Review. Presented at: Le Moyne College PA Program, 2007-2010, 2013-17 & 2022; Syracuse, NY.
- Hayden TM. Physician Assistant Certification Exam Dermatology Review. Presented at: SUNY Upstate PA Program, April 2013 & 2022; Syracuse, NY.
- Hayden TM. Dermatology Complete Skin Exam and Dermatological Procedures. Presented at: Le Moyne College PA Program, March/June, 2017-2022; Syracuse, NY.
- Hayden TM. Oral Dermatology in Urgent Care. Presented at: Wellnow Urgent Care PA/NP Fellowship Training Program - Virtual Grand Rounds Lecture, March 9, 2022; Rochester, NY.
- Hayden TM. Dermatology in Urgent Care. Presented at: Wellnow Urgent Care PA/NP Fellowship Training Program - Virtual Grand Rounds Lecture, May 19, 2021; Rochester, NY.
- Hayden TM. Dermatology Lectures; Hair/Nails, Fungal/Candida, Derm Emergencies. Presented to: Christian Brothers University PA Program - Virtual Modular Lectures, January 22 & 29, 2021; Memphis, TN.
- Hayden TM. Dermatology Module. Presented at: SUNY Upstate PA Program - Modular Lectures, January/February, 2010-2021; Syracuse, NY.
- Hayden TM. Pediatric Dermatology. Presented at: Le Moyne College PA Program, June, 2017-2019; Syracuse, NY.
- Hayden TM. Wound Closures. Presented at: Le Moyne College NP Program, November 27, 2017; Syracuse, NY.
- Grippe K, Grubb B, Hayden TM, Hyde M, Sikes M. Dermatology PA Foundation (DPAF) Clinical Research Panel: Let’s Get This Started! Panel Discussion presented by DPAF at: Society of Dermatology Physician Assistants Annual Summer Dermatology Conference, June 1-4, 2017; San Diego, CA.
- Hayden TM. Cutaneous Malignancies Review. Presented at: Le Moyne College PA Program, July 2016; Syracuse, NY.
- Hayden TM. Dermatology Module. Presented at: Le Moyne College PA Program - Modular Lectures, 2004-2015; Syracuse, NY.
- Hayden TM. Pharmacotherapy Case Studies. Presented at: Le Moyne College PA Program, 2012-2015; Syracuse, NY.
- Hayden TM. Physician Assistant Certification Exam Dermatology Review and Melanoma Update. Presented at: SUNY Upstate PA Program, April, 2013; Syracuse, NY.
- Hayden TM. Physical Diagnosis - Problem Focused Approach to Ortho and HEENT. Presented at: SUNY Upstate PA Program, February 12 & 21, 2012; Syracuse, NY.
- Hayden TM. Laceration Repair and Suturing. Presented at: SUNY Upstate PA Program, June 9, 2011; Syracuse, NY.
- Hayden TM. Pediatric Exanthems Review. Presented at: Le Moyne College PA Program, June, 2011; Syracuse, NY.
- Hayden TM. Skin Conditions Common to Primary Care. Presented to: Hobart and William Smith College Student Health Center, May, 2010; Geneva, NY.
- Hayden TM. Recognizing and Treating Atopic Dermatitis and Diaper Dermatitis in Pediatric Patients. Presented to: Brighton Hill Pediatrics, April 12, 2010; Syracuse, NY.
- Hayden TM. Getting Published - Helpful Tips from the JDPA Editor in Chief. Presented at: Society of Dermatology Physician Assistants 6th Annual Fall Dermatology Conference, November 7, 2008; Tampa Bay, FL.
- Hayden TM. Skin Conditions Common to Individuals with Down Syndrome. Presented to: Down Syndrome Association of CNY - Making Connections Spring Conference, April 23, 2006 & April 5, 2008; Syracuse, NY.
- Hayden TM. Dermatology. Presented at: SUNY Upstate Medical College - MS III Modular Lectures, April 12, 2007; Syracuse, NY.
- Hayden TM. Dermatology 101. Presented at: SUNY Upstate NP/PA Group, April 20, 2006; Syracuse, NY.
- Czolgosz R, Foe E, Kowal C, Lee L, McGillicuddy N, Rutherford J, Hayden TM, and Homes WH. Assessing Patients' Attitudes Regarding the Inquiry of Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity in the Clinical Setting: A Systematic Review. Poster accepted for presentation at: Society of Dermatology Physician Assistants Annual Summer Dermatology Conference, June 16-19, 2022; Austin, TX.
- Brightman A, Bui D, Gugino L, Reesor S, Rubel D, Savage A, Hayden TM, Holmes WH. Assessing Attitudes and Behavior of Hair Professionals towards Dermatological Screening in Syracuse, NY. Poster presented at: New York State Society of Physician Assistants 2020 Virtual CME Conference, October 16-18, 2020; 2020 Virtual CME Conference.
- Hsu A, Konopka K, Lobo D, Matthews M, Omlor C, Samardak R, Hayden TM, Kriegisch Kondapi P. Dermatology PAs in the Screening of Psoriasis Comorbidities. Poster presented at: Society of Dermatology Physician Assistants 17th Annual Fall Dermatology Conference, November 20-24, 2019; Scottsdale, AZ.
- Fortin MP, Buczek JF, Becht LJ, Hamdan RA, Hayden TM, Holmes WH, Riddell JV. Bowel Bladder Dysfunction Diagnosis and Treatment: Should Primary Care Providers Be Doing More? Poster and Research in Action presented at: American Academy of Physician Assistants 47th Annual Conference, May 20th, 2019; Denver, CO. Moderated Poster presented at: Canadian Urological Association 74th Annual Conference, July 1, 2019; Quebec City, QC Canada.
Industry Sponsored Presentations
- Hayden TM. Beyond Psoriasis. Presented to: Raptiva Local Patient Outreach Program, December 11, 2007; Rochester, NY. Company Sponsor: Genentech.
- Hayden TM. Update on Acne. Presented to: Lyndon Pediatric Associates, July 24, 2007; Syracuse, NY. Company Sponsor: Stiefel.
- Hayden TM. Update on Acne. Presented to: Brighton Hill Pediatrics, March 26, 2007; Syracuse, NY. Company Sponsor: Stiefel.
- Hayden TM. Dermatology in Primary Care - Advantages of Foam Vehicles for the Treatment of Psoriasis and Acne. Presented to: Northeast Medical Family Practice, May, 2005; Syracuse, NY. Company Sponsor: Connetics Corp.
Research Areas of Interest
- Dermatology Diagnostic Augmentation (Utilizing AI)
- Dermatology Workforce Issues and Patients' Access to Care (specific to PA utilization)
- Medical Education (non-traditional vs traditional)
- Interprofessional Education and Practice
- Clinical Reasoning
- Implicit Bias and Transformative Learning Theory
- Social Determinants of Health
- Patient Centered Care
- Teaching and Learning Styles
Selected Grants and Awards
- Le Moyne College PA Student Society Impact Award, 2019
- CNYPAA Educator of the Year Award, 2013
- SDPA Outstanding Committee Chair Member Award, 2013
- SDPA Distinguished Service Award, 2009
- US Navy Honorable Discharge (Active Duty), 2003
- US Navy National Defense Medal, Global War on Terrorism, 2002
- US Navy/Marine Corp Achievement Medal, 2002
- US Navy/Marine Corp Commendation Medal, 2002
- Roche Laboratory Award for Professional Excellence, 1998
- US Navy Health Service Collegiate Scholarship, 1997
- Beta Beta Beta International Biological Honor Society, 1996
Industry Relationships and Collaborations
This faculty member (or a member of their immediate family) has reported a financial interest with the health care related companies listed below. These relations have been reported to the College and, when appropriate, management plans are in place to address potential conflicts.
Return to Physician Assistant Studies.